Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Heavy Snowfall and the Strong Snow Fort

I'm sure many of you remember my ill-fated attempt to build an igloo in my backyard.


The walls were too thin for the overall building size, and it took way more time to complete than I actually had.  It therefore became...

A walled patio.

...Minus the patio.

When I went up North to visit my parents, however, I was greeted with a sight that left me green with envy:


My dad had built a snow fort.  A good one.  With thick walls.

The evening that we drove up that way, there was a heavy snowfall.


Like, really heavy.  As in, that-photo-up-above-is-only-the-beginning heavy.  There were a few times I almost demanded that we stop driving for the night due to lack of visibility - one of those times, less than 45 minutes away from our destination.

But we made it.

The next morning, I walked out and looked at the snow fort my dad built.  He had added some ply wood to the entrance roof, because he didn't have time to finish before more snow fell, and it was a very short, crawl-in structure...


But it lasted through inches upon inches of snowfall, and unlike my own structure, it had a roof.  No snow patio in this yard!

The walls (pre-snowfall) looked to be about 1 1/2 feet thick.  They were solid, and sitting inside of this structure would be considerably warmer than standing outside, especially since the inside area was so small.

I have a way to go before I have the skill and knowledge to create something so effective.

The good news, though?  I'm trying.  As long as you refuse to give up, you'll succeed in the end.  We'll see what next year brings, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment