Tuesday, March 5, 2013

And Then The Snow Arrived...

Every now and then I hear something so ridiculous that I burst with uncontrollable laughter.  This happened two days ago, when my husband gave me some information he just discovered.

"The weather channel says we're getting 8-12 inches of snow."

"When?"  I ask as I continue soaking up the sun while reading on the porch.

"Tonight."

My reaction was quite understandable, I'm sure.

Female stick drawing looking up at the sun, eyebrows raised.

Same stick drawing, this time looking in front of her - same expression of disbelief

Stick drawing repeat, this time she's laughing.

I didn't believe it.  I mean, it was warm!

Old outdoor thermometer reading 39 degrees

Well, warm for Minnesota, anyway.  All of the snow was melting,

Hill only half covered with snow


and I wasn't wearing a coat!  We were in the middle of a friggin heat wave!

Snow?

Oh, please...

By the time I went to bed, there was still no snow falling.

"Ha!"  I snorted.  "Some snow!!!"

And I went to bed, content in my knowledge that

I was right.

Well, the next morning, I looked out the window after waking up, and of course...

same hill, now totally covered with a fresh layer of snow.

Everything was covered with snow... again... and it was still snowing.  Indeed, the snow didn't let up for more than a few minutes at a time until it took a break at noon, then started up again...

and continued all night long.

Wow!

I finally hit accuweather.com  to see what the outlook was like.

Weather map showing the band of storm impact. A big red circle in the center of the heaviest impact zone, with an arrow that says "I am here!"  Map taken directly from accuweather.com.
Well.............  oops.

I guess I laughed to soon, because... yeah.  I'm in the "heaviest" snowfall band.

Who knew, right?  I suppose maybe those meteorologists do get it right every now and then... even when it feels like they're spouting nonsense.

I guess I'll just have to wait a little while longer before bringing out the swimsuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment