Monday, March 25, 2013

An Army of Sprouts Invades the Window Sills

You all know that I've been starting seeds for the past few weeks, but I haven't really said a whole lot about it.

Today, that changes.

I'm not going to waste your time going over each and every little seed I've planted.  That, after all, would get quite boring.  Especially since I'm starting to run out of window sills to place the sprouts onto...

Window with pots on the ledge, hanging from the curtain rod, and stuck to the glass with tape.  Statement bubbles: "And WHY exactly is there duct tape on the windows?!" "I was running out of sunlight, and had to get creative..."

See, I've been planting seeds like crazy.  At present, I have jiffy pellets holding

  • Anaheim Chiles
  • Tomatoes
  • Tomatillos
  • Jalapenos
  • Kale
  • Bok Choy
  • Buttercrunch Lettuce
  • Peas
  • Marigolds
...and I'm about to plant some yellow onions.

Unfortunately, in a climate like we have in South Central Minnesota, you really need grow lights.  

See, my tomatillo sprouts are stretching out, trying to reach the sun from their window ledge, thereby making themselves very leggy.  Placing a grow light a few inches above the sprouts would produce better growth conditions.

The funny thing, though?  I planted one pea seed.

Just one.

And it grew.  Not just a slight growth, but the little guy really took off.

Long white root poking through a jiffy pellet.  An inch long sprout poking through the top.

The day the sprout was discovered, I had to move it from its doughnut greenhouse, because the sprout was magnificently tall.  I had forgotten about how big those sprouts are!

I moved it into a larger pot, and placed it on the window sill, where it continued to grow at a fast rate.  I have to admit, though, that it was quite lonely.  I mean, how would you feel if you had no company... from the moment of your birth!  All it had was a window to stare out from.

Single pea sprout, stretching toward a window.  Nothing but snow on the ground outside.
Look at the poor little guy... so sad.  So lonely...

So I threw a couple more seeds into the soil.  I'll have to re-pot it eventually, anyway, right?  The question, though, is just what sort of trellis I should create for it... as well as the other two sprouts when they poke through the soil.  They'll need something to grab onto, after all!

Next on the list?  Cucumbers.  Lots and lots of them.

Yum...

No comments:

Post a Comment