Monday, October 8, 2012

Simple Yet Perfect DIY Skin Moisurizer

Redemption!!!

Since my last DIY project failed miserably due to my inability to follow one piece of advice, it's time for a much more successful project.  It's an easy one, and requires very little time.

It's time for a perfect moisturizer that can be used both on the face and the body.

This recipe requires just two ingredients:

bottles of coconut oil and tea tree oil

1) coconut oil
2)  tea tree oil

And you don't even have to use much.  A very small amount goes a long way, which means it's also very economical.  Who doesn't like to save money?

The steps to make the moisturizer are simple.


  1. Get out a glass container and place 1/4 cup of coconut inside.  Make sure it's glas, and not plastic.  This is very important, as explained in the next step.
  2. Add a couple of drops of tea tree oil.  Tea tree oil must not be placed in a plastic container, because people have reported that it breaks down the plastic.  I've never personally witnessed this, but it's best not to tempt fate.
  3. If your coconut oil is sold, as mine was, warm it up for about 15 seconds in the microwave.  
  4. Use a spoon to mix it all together.  
  5. Smile.  You're done.
the two oils blended together


See?  I told you it was simple!

But why does it work?

Coconut oil:

Coconut oil is a light oil used in cooking, but is also perfect for skin because it doesn't clog the pores.  Being a light oil, it's non-greasy.  You can't say that about common vegetable oils like olive, which cause the skin to shine in the light!  I've used olive oil for Halloween costumes to accentuate my muscles, making them appear larger than they really are, but that's the last thing I would want in a daily moisturizer.  Coconut oil is light,  long lasting and non-shiny, making it perfect for skin.

Tea Tree Oil:

We all know I love to use tea tree oil for tooth pain, and to soothe itching, but it has more worth than just that!

While coconut oil alone is enough for basic moisturizing needs, tea tree oil is anti-inflammatory.  This means that while the coconut oil keeps your skin protected from the elements, tea tree oil works to repair any damage that has already taken place.  It fights any redness, while working against any acne you may have.

Score!!!

Only a tiny amount needs to be used.  To moisturize my face, I tap one finger tip on the top of the mixture.  I'm one of those people that has a habit of using way too much cream on my face, so using such a small amount of anything is rather exciting.

A little more needs to be used on the arms and legs, but we're still looking at a ridiculously tiny amount.  When you consider how little you need to use, the monetary savings start to kick in.

The reason I use only a very small amount of tea tree oil is that if too much is used, it's no longer a viable option for the face.

Tea tree oil is pretty strong, so more than a couple of drops can be uncomfortable for the eyes.  I never use it around the eyes, at all.  That area is still an Eye Cream Only zone.

Finally, make sure to store your moisturizer in a safe area, away from children's reach.  Tea tree oil is dangerous if swallowed, after all.  I keep it in the medicine cabinet, beside my baking soda and kabuki brush that are used as a natural deodorant.

moisturizer storage arrangement
The green container on the far left is
what I use on my eyes.

Nobody would be crazy enough to eat something located there!

I have serious issues with dry skin, and this is by far the best option for me.  Before doing this, I spent far too much money on lotions and creams... and none of them worked.

Give it a try, and let me know how it goes for you.  

I'll never buy another moisturizer at the store, again.  I want you to be able to say the same thing!  It takes less than 3 minutes to create.  Anyone can do this.  Give it a try!






No comments:

Post a Comment