Saturday, June 9, 2012

Heaven in a Milk Bottle

After looking at the hours of business for the Cedar Summit Farm's store, I realized that waiting 'until tomorrow' was not a valid option.  If I was going to go, I needed to do it immediately.  Otherwise, I'd have to wait until Monday.

I hate waiting.

So my daughter and I got into the car and drove the 45 minutes it took to get there.  Fortunately, since I took a farm road, there was a lot to see.  We passed by four lakes, tons of trees, and a group of cows.  My daughter was in heaven.

I also had to slow down to about 30 mph at one point, because a deer ran out into the road.  I was fortunate that there were no other cars around me, because if there were I wouldn't have been able to do this without becoming a hazard unto myself.  Luckily, the deer finally seemed to realize that running into the middle of the road was not the best option, and ran back into a field.  We continued on, my daughter giggling with glee.

Finally, we reached our destination.  Mary Sue, who ran the store that day, was full of priceless information.  Not only did she answer any question that I asked, but she was able to answer the questions that had yet to even be asked by me.  This takes talent.

One of the things she told me about was the Milkapalooza celebration they'll be having on June 23rd.  Petting zoo, pony rides, games...  All of this spells out HEAVEN for my daughter.  We'll definitely be there.

...and I've allowed myself to get sidetracked, so let's get to the good part.

Heaven in a Bottle:  Otherwise known as their milk.



I bought three half-gallon bottles of it, plus a pint of cream.  This was rather expensive, due to the deposit I paid for each bottle, but every time I return I get the deposit amount deducted from the total cost as long as I bring my empty bottles back to them.  Another bonus is that all of their milk is the same price, regardless of whether it's chocolate, whole, 2%, or 1%.  In the grocery stores, I always end up having to pay significantly more for whole milk, so this is a very welcome change.

After gazing at the beautiful bottle designs for what felt like an eternity, I got a glass out, shook the bottle, and poured.

::plunk::

A chunk of milk fat plopped into my glass.  This is the point where I should probably mention that the milk is non-homogenized.  Now, I knew non-homogenized milk needed to be shaken, but I didn't shake it well enough, evidently.  Oops.

Round two:

I shook again, quite a bit more, this time.  The result was a gorgeous liquid that flowed from the bottle gracefully.  I smiled and took my first sip.

Then another.

And another.

Before I knew what was happening, it was all gone.  I held the glass upside down, hoping for
just
    one
       more
          drop.



Nothing.

See, what you need to understand is that while I like milk, I'm not exactly a milk connoisseur.  I drink it, I like it, then I forget about it.

Until now.

This creamy, rich, and smooth nectar of the gods momentarily transported me to heaven.  The texture was unlike anything I had ever before experienced.  It was as though it had wrapped me in a cocoon of pleasure and well-being.  A raw form of goodness and simplicity.

Perhaps it was the lack of homogenization.  Perhaps it was the healthy diet of grass provided to the cows.  Perhaps it was simply because I got the milk fresh from the farm, in a glass bottle that didn't taint the milk with a hint of plastic.

Or perhaps it's all of these things, combined.

Buying milk straight from the farm reduces food miles.  Electing to go organic ensures that pesticides and hormones haven't been used in the cows' feed.  Choosing a glass bottle means that you're reusing a container, rather than simply throwing it out or recycling it after each use.

This sounds like a win-win situation to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment