Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Dumb Rabbit

Normally I think very highly of the animals in my yard, even if they're doing things that undo my work on the gardens.  Today, however, I make an exception to this rule.

I've decided that I have a very, very dumb rabbit in residence.


You probably think I'm being rather harsh.  I mean, it's a cute and fluffy bunny, right?  How could I possibly think this little guy is so dumb?

Because he is.

No... really.

See, I don't expect animals to do calculus, or anything.  I don't even expect them to make the right choices all the time.  I just expect their actions to make some sort of sense.  I'm generally not disappointed in this regard.  This rabbit, however, is the exception to the rule.

My daughter and I were outside when I discovered it.  I pointed it out, and we slowly walked nearer, being as quiet as possible.  The rabbit froze.

So far, this makes sense.  No problem here.

It relaxed a bit, so we moved in a couple of steps.  It stood erect, trying to get a bearing on the situation.

Still no problem.

I took a picture.  It turned and looked right at me.  Then...

It hopped closer.  And stopped.

Huh?!  That's... different.

I saw my opportunity, and didn't want to miss out on the ability to get a closer shot.  I held my arm out and pressed the button.  It ran -


Right at me!  What the heck?!

It ran past me at a distance of no more than 1 1/2 feet away from my leg.  Now, if I had been standing very close to the rabbit I would totally understand this.  However, I was at least ten feet away at the time it decided to run.

Something tells me its flight or fight response is on the fritz.

I remembered the fur tufts I had seen in the neighbor's yard in the recent past, and had no doubt that the rabbits in my neighborhood aren't the brightest crayons in the box.

Poor, cute, dumb, fluffy bunnies.  I have a feeling I won't have to worry much about rabbits eating my crops if this is the level of intelligence they exhibit.

The crazy part of this?  As dumb as I've decided this rabbit is, I still like it rather a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment