Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hostas to the Rescue!

One thing that has caused me continual frustrations when thinking about my plans for an edible landscape is the large, brown, sloped area.  It's brown because it's in almost total shade during the growing season.  I need to start planning now, but I have no idea what I want to place there.

However, I had been staring at some sprouts along the side of the house for a week. These were clearly bulb plants, but beyond that knowledge I was at a loss.  Not being from this side of the country, I had no idea what those things were!  All I knew was that they looked horribly crowded and they had started popping up everywhere.





But then yesterday I talked to my neighbor.  She told me that they were hostas.  Hostas are plants with pretty gigantic leaves.  The coloration on the leaves varies based on variety.  Some have streaks of blue, some have purple.  The list goes on.  I have no idea what these hostas here will look like, so it'll be fun to see the result!

Anyway, according to my neighbor, these things are pretty hardy.  You can cut a small piece from the bulb root, and if you plant that piece somewhere it'll grow. 

But it gets better...

Hostas like shade!!!

I now have something I can plant to brighten up that slope in my backyard.  I'll need to pile some rocks on one side to level out the area where I plant, but there are tons of pieces of rock and cement behind the garage, so I figure I'm set!

More on this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment